Production Blog: Beginning the Editing Process

Professional Video Editing Tips and Techniques

 Production Blog: Beginning the Editing Process 

Though my participating actor's relative has recovered fully, we have all agreed that it would be in our best interest to wait until the week of Monday the 22nd to meet up to shoot. Spring Break for us begins on Friday, the 19th until the end of that week. We agreed that it would be easier for us to just wait until it was spring break, for convenience's sake. We would have more time to film in general, and we could meet up at more reasonable times. With that being said, I decided to go a bit further with the editing for the film. Majority of the footage is finalized so I can edit a large portion of the film. I built on what I had began, which I described in my previous entry. One thing that I forgot to do was to add in my usual plug-ins into Sony Vegas. I have recently gotten a new computer and I forgot to install my editing essentials, so the version of Vegas that I have on it is very vanilla. The plug-in packs that I use contain transitions, video effects, and other things that help with the editing process. Most of the packs that I have are simply "collections" of tools put in easily accessible places, while others are industry plugins that I had purchased a long time ago. Boris FX's Sapphire, and Red Giant's Magic Bullet Looks are a few of the plugins that aid in my video editing process. To build on what I had already laid out, I added fitting transitions to clips that I knew would not be changed in post. After this, I tweaked the lighting in a few of the scenes, mostly the scenes where there was a lot of movement. I wanted the lighting to be a bit darker; it was very sunny when we were filming, but I want the film to have a slightly darker look to emphasize the drama. Other than that, I made sure to mark the placeholders that would be removed and add additional markers to group certain scenes together. I also played with the speed of scenes. For example, in the scenes where Carl is actually playing basketball, I sped things up to make the scenes more action packed. This editing session was basically me creating more of a foundation. Once we finally wrap up filming, things should be a lot easier because of this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Short Film: The Terrible Old Man Analysis

Planning For My Music Video

Final Task Filming/Editing: Adjusting to Schedules and Identifying Music